The best way to prevent your pet from chocking on foreign objects is to:
- Do not allow pets to play with small objects.
- Ask your veterinarian what size limitations are appropriate for your size pet.
- Do not allow your pets to chew on rawhides or similar chewables without supervision.
- Once a chew piece gets too small, do not allow further chewing. Throw it away!
- Check all toys for removable parts.
- Use only chew resistant toys.
- Do not give bones as chew toys. Even bones that do not splinter can still cause choking if the animal tries to swallow too large a piece. Other bones can become lodged around the jaw.