Shock is a result of severe trauma or certain medical conditions. In shock, the blood fails to circulate properly; as a result, the organs and tissues do not get enough oxygen to function normally.
Shock needs to be managed with intravenous fluids and medications administered by a veterinarian; therefore, your pet needs to be seen by a veterinarian immediately to increase its chances for survival.

Signs:

  • Rapid heart rate
  • Weak thready pulse
  • Cold, pale gums
  • Weakness
  • Stupor or unconsciousness
  • Panting or labored breathing
  • Subnormal temperature

Managing Shock:

  • Wrap your pet with blankets to try to raise the body temperature. Do not use a heat source of any kind as it may exacerbate the shock.
  • Minimize stress.
  • Transfer your pet to a veterinary facility immediately. Shock is a sign of a severe problem and can be fatal in a few minutes.

 

Contact Us

Phone: 928-779-5522
Fax 928-286-5136
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

"A veterinarian in the hospital every night, 365 nights a year!"

Find Us On The Map

Normal Values

NORMAL VALUES:

Dog
Temperature: 99.5-102.5
Pulse: 80-140
Respirations (breaths/min): 14-40

Cat
Temperature: 100-102.5
Pulse: 150-180
Respirations (breaths/min): 20-40