Shock is a result of severe trauma or certain medical conditions. In shock, the blood fails to circulate properly; as a result, the organs and tissues do not get enough oxygen to function normally.
Shock needs to be managed with intravenous fluids and medications administered by a veterinarian; therefore, your pet needs to be seen by a veterinarian immediately to increase its chances for survival.

Signs:

  • Rapid heart rate
  • Weak thready pulse
  • Cold, pale gums
  • Weakness
  • Stupor or unconsciousness
  • Panting or labored breathing
  • Subnormal temperature

Managing Shock:

  • Wrap your pet with blankets to try to raise the body temperature. Do not use a heat source of any kind as it may exacerbate the shock.
  • Minimize stress.
  • Transfer your pet to a veterinary facility immediately. Shock is a sign of a severe problem and can be fatal in a few minutes.