Usually the mother is able to deliver her puppy without assistance, but occasionally she may need the help of either you or a veterinarian.
Take your pet to a veterinary facility immediately if:
- The mother has gone >70-72 days from the first breeding or 68-70 days from the last breeding.
- The mother is going > 30-60 minutes with contractions and without producing any puppies/kittens.
- The mother is going >3 hours between deliveries.
- The mother has produced part of the fetus and then stopped.
- The mother is passing foul smelling, brown fluid.
- The mother is nervous, weak, or restless more than one hour after labor stops. There may be another baby.
- The mother’s muscles begin to tremble days or weeks after giving birth. She is having difficulties standing and she is vomiting.